Sunday, April 1, 2012

Blog Project

I would like to do a little more research on Fanny Wright's life, works, and the influence she  had on Whitman.  From the research I already gathered, I know she spent a great deal of her time promoting her own brand of radicalism during a time in which radicalism in culture and society was making a debut into the American mainstream.  And I'm sure she went on to influence other men and women who participated in the suffrage movement like Elizabeth Cady Stanton, but unlike Stanton, Wright is a woman who doesn't receive the credit she deserves particularly in the history books we were brought up to read in school.  What were some of her greatest achievements and failures as one dedicated to activism?  What legacy, if any, has she left behind? And did her means justify her ends when it came to taking action against slavery, and the subjugation of women?

6 comments:

  1. This is a really rich and interesting topic. It also makes me wonder WHY she doesn't receive the credit she deserves! What form will your project take?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't really decided on the form yet. I got so use to writing the five page expository essay that just the thought of branching out from that is haunting and perplexing.

      Delete
  2. What an interesting topic! It seems that her influence on Whitman would qualify as part of her legacy, even though she hasn't received enough historical credit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fanny Wright is a bad ass, and you're right, she definitely doesn't get the credit she deserves. I was really intrigued in this woman and all she stood for while researching her for the blog post we did. I'm interested in seeing what else you dig up because I was also curious about the same questions you pose, since she's such a strong and important individual who seems to get breezed over when looking back at influential historical figures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like there is a great need to research women (womyn..) in history who have been bypassed by historians, critics, society etc. Fanny definitely deserves some good research, especially in relation to Whitman. To echo Diana's question, how do you propose to execute this project?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know yet, any suggestions? Maybe a creative writing endeavor.

      Delete